5 Surprising Benefits of Massage Therapy ~ Nanaimo Massage
Pure Chiropractic of Nanaimo is pleased to make massage therapy available to its patients. A lot of our patients have already taken advantage of this and seen great results. Everyone knows that massage helps with tight sore muscles, but there are many more benefits that you might not know about. Here are some surprising benefits of massage therapy and the research to back it up:
1. It reduces anxiety and depression. Sure, massage can reduce the tense muscles found with anxiety, but did you know it actually reduces anxiety and depression itself? It’s true! This has been shown in numerous studies. You can check out this study that showed children and adolescents with anxiety and depression problems showed decreased issues following massage. Their stress hormones (cortisol and adrenaline) were even reduced. This study also found massage to decrease stress hormones and increase hormones associated with a relaxed state (dopamine and serotonin).
2. It boosts your immunity. A study published in the Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine showed that massage boosts your white blood cell count. White blood cells are your immune systems cells, that fight bacteria, viruses and cancer. This study confirms the findings of a previous research study that showed massage increases white blood cell count in breast cancer patients.
3. It lessens the effects of PMS. For many women, the effects of PMS can mean they lose days a month to pain and bloating. An interesting study conducted by the University of Miami Medical School found that massage therapy can help. Pain, depression and anxiety were immediately reduced. Even 5 weeks after the massage, pain, bloating and menstrual depression were still reduced!
4. It reduces the symptoms of cancer. More and more, massage is used to treat the symptoms of cancer. In a study published by the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, researchers looked at pain, fatigue, stress, nausea, depression, amongst other symptoms. Patients reported a 50% reduction in symptoms! The symptoms stayed reduced until the follow-up two days later.
5. It reduces your blood pressure. A number of research projects have shown this. In Sweden, researchers looked at the effects of a one hour massage, weekly for four weeks conducted on patients with high blood pressure. The study found significant decreases in blood pressure and resting heart rate. Given that high blood pressure is a big risk factor for heart attacks and stroke, massage has obvious health benefits.
Can massage help you relax? Sure, but clearly massage is a lot more than that. If you’re looking for a Nanaimo massage therapist, call Pure Chiropractic today on 250-585-8866. Pure Chiropractic: Helping You get Back To Life!