Nanaimo Massage Therapy ~ 3 Reasons Every Athlete Needs Massage
Ever been to a running race, seen the line of athletes waiting for their massage, and wonder what all the fuss is about? Ever heard one of your training buddies talk about their massage therapist and thought, “I doubt that does any good”? Perhaps you’re missing the boat, and your edge on the competition. There’s a lot of benefit from massage therapy if you’re an athlete. Here are the three main points:
1. Improved performance. The benefits are three-fold:
•improved flexibility. Researchers looking at Australia’s Premier Field Hockey athletes found that massage lead to improved hamstring flexibility. The study was then repeated using a different group of athletes an the same results were found. These results were achieved using only an 8 minute massage!
- •improved strength. A study of NCAA women athletes found that massage significantly improved vertical jump height and running speed. Perceived muscle soreness was also decreased. These results were achieved using only one 17 minute massage!
- •improved endurance. Research out of McMaster University has found that massage increases the size and number of mitochondria found in muscle tissue. Mitochondria are the power houses of your muscle cells. Increasing mitochondria can improve endurance by increasing the rate that muscles can use oxygen.
2. Improved recovery.
- •Less soreness. The muscles soreness that follows one to two days after intense exercise is known as Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Massage has been shown to reduce this, but the mechanism is as of yet unknown.
- •Less inflammation. A 10 minute massage after exercise has been shown by doctoral research from McMaster University to reduce muscle inflammation.
3. Reduced injury risk. With massage therapy increasing flexibility and shortening recovery time, it shouldn’t surprise you that massage reduces your risk of injury. It’s a big part of the reason why nearly all, if not every, major sports team has a team massage therapist.
To sum up, your should make massage therapy part of your training and wellness program. Aside from the relaxation and health benefits, it might give you an advantage over your competition. If you’re looking for a Nanaimo massage therapist, please give us a call at Pure Chiropractic, 250-585-8866.
Photo Credit: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Healthy_Living_g284-Handsome_Muscular_Man_With_Towel_p81266.html